The Scottish Traditional Boat Festival keeps alive our maritime culture and heritage by bringing together large historic boats, traditional sailing craft and all small craft, both historic and modern, over the two day Festival.
With competitive sailing races and on the water displays, as well as the opportunity for visitors to get on board and chat with skippers and crews, it’s an experience everyone enjoys.
Bring Your Boat!
We look forward to welcoming old friends and new to the 2018 Festival. For further details or to register your boat and attendance, please contact our Maritime Coordinator, Paul Mudie. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Wide Range Of Boats Joined Us In 2017, Including:
Black Gold – Built and owned by Portsoy resident Alisdair Scott.
Bonnikate – A Lune Longboat. She is double-ended and is a replica of the small fishing boats of the Lune estuary and Morecambe Bay originally used to trawl for shrimps, working set or drift nets or raking cockles and gathering mussels. Constructed of fibreglass and rigged with a standing lug, she was built in the ‘80s. She was previously berthed at Port Bannatyne and moved to Portsoy in 2016.
Brunhilde – A replica of a Tancook Whaler from Tancook Island off Nova Scotia. The original owner, Ian Hawick saw the drawing of her in a book by Howard Chappele on the fishing boats of USA and Canada, and the only builder willing to build a copy was Sandisons of Baltasound in Unst, Shetland. The design is almost the same as a Shetland model boat – a clinker planked, as opposed to carvel as the originals, double ended two masted schooner rigged with a long (9ft) bowsprit. She is mahogany planked on rock elm frames and the keel is iroko. Built in 1967 in Unst she has been used solely under sail until an engine was fitted this year.
Coinin Dubh – (Black Rabbit) is a Caledonia Yawl, designed by Ian Oughtred, inspired by the Shetland Foureen. Built by David Campbell in 2011 at Lyme Regis Boat Building Academy.
Comet BF 430 – Brothers Built by Nobles of Girvan for John and Donald Galbraith with the Highland Board and launched in 1961 as Magdalena CY. 203. The vessel was not well looked after and was re-possessed by the Highland Board and sold at public auction to Whitehills fishermen, John Watson and the late John Cowie who renamed her Comet BF. 430. After a somewhat mixed history she was bought by Billy Milne who has returned her to her original looks and is now moored in Macduff.
De Tollie – A 34 foot, clinker built, gaff rigged cutter. Designed by the legendary Maurice Griffiths at the end of his career and built by Alan Platt in 1981, De Tollie has been the subject of feature articles in the Yachting Press, including Watercraft and Classic Boat. The vessel, which is owned by the Ellington Family, has inspired both the design and detailing of a number of spirit of tradition yachts built in recent years. She is also the only boat to have taken part in every Scottish Traditional Boat Festival since its inception in 1993.
Deineira – A mahogany on Oak Pocket Sloop built by K & R Skentlebury in Plymouth in 1964, one of five or six similar yachts built by the yard as fore-runners to their highly successful Saltram line of yachts produced later. She is a long-keeler with a modest cutaway and a transom-mounted rudder with 13hp inboard Lister twin cylinder engine. Found on Ebay in September 2011 and bought sight unseen, she was moored up in a drying harbour near Caernarfon at the Southern mouth of the Menai straight. After lots of work and refurbishment she was put back in the water in 2012.
Douglas Currie – EX RNLI 48’ 6” Solent class lifeboat with hinged wheelhouse door and seated steering position. Built by Groves & Guttridge at the cost of £65,113 in 1973 and provided by the Douglas Currie Trust and a legacy of Mr Davidson. She entered the relief fleet in March 1989 where she stayed until sold in 1992 when sent to Tenerife where she continued as a rescue boat. The lifeboat is now displayed by the kind permission of her private owners and is maintained at their expense with no cost to the RNLI.
Ewing McGruer – Built in Stromness, Orkney at the Ness Boatyard 1967, she was named after the designer of the boat and others built at Anderson’s boatyard. Ewing McGruer was of the same family of the famous McGruers of Clynder on the Clyde. The Ewing McGruer was shown at the London Boat Show at Earls Court the same year. Originally built as an open decked creel boat she fished initially for crab and lobster from Westray. She was then sold on to various owners with the main use then being for scallop diving and charter work. The boat was altered over the years with additional cabin aft and then decked in with a water tight deck in the late eighties. She remained as a scallop diving boat until Pia Anderson purchased her in December 2006 and after an extended refit lasting 10 years finally launched her in September 2015.
Feadhanach – (“Fe ha nach”) Gentle Breeze in Gaelic is a 16 foot double ended gaff cutter based on the Shetland Sixareen from Selway Fisher plans. She was built in 2009 by Northboats near Insch in Aberdeenshire. She is clinker built of marine grade ply and iroko finishing with mast and spares of douglas fir. Feadhanach has competed in the Scottish Raid http://www.sailcaledonia.org/ every year since 2010 which is a race by sail and oar from Fort William to Inverness up the Great Glen.
Isabella Fortuna – Built by James Weir, Arbroath, the Isabella was launched on the 15th September 1890. With an overall length of 45 feet, 13 feet 9 inches beam and a draught of 6 feet. She was powered by two big lug sails, a jib and five oars and was intended for line and drift-net fishing. In 1997 the Wick Society bought the Isabella Fortuna from Hobson Rankin and since that date enthusiastic volunteers have been engaged on a continuous programme of renewal and restoration at sea and on the water.
Kentra – A Sadler 29 which was the first unsinkable design in the Sadler range and came from the drawing board of Martin Sadler. It was launched in 1981 and nearly 400 have been built. Production stopped 1991. It quickly earned a reputation for being a safe and seaworthy family cruiser that was quite swift and easily handled.
Lady Vi – A Westerly Tempest built in1988. A regular visitor to the Festival, she has sailed into almost every harbour on the Moray Firth and has also sailed to the Orkney Islands and to the west coast via the Caley Canal. Ten year ago Lady Vi took part in the North Sea race from Skudneshaven in Norway to Macduff.
MacPuff – A gunter rigged Drascombe Lugger.
Nutmeg of Consolation – A Tideway clinker built gaff rigged sailing dinghy. She is 50 years old.
Spey 1 – Built by Jones of Buckie Shipyard and shown at the London Boat Show in 1960. She is 40 ft by 12.5 ft and weighs in at 23 tons. Of carvel construction of larch planking on oak frames, she is a cutter rigged motor sailer and sleeps seven in comfort. A great sea boat, immensely strong and craftsman built.
Spindrift – Based on the Loch Broom Post Boat; a small, clinker-built sailing vessel which was used for delivery of mail to the remote community on Loch Broom, Wester Ross. The original Post Boat is now in the Irvine Maritime Museum, Scotland.
Squid – A Drascombe Dabber, built by Honnor Marine in 1996. At 15ft 6in long she is smaller than the perhaps better known Drascombe Lugger. In 2012 she was converted to a single unstayed carbon fibre mast with a balance lugsail on carbon fibre spars, the conversion being completed by Anglia Yacht Brokerage in Suffolk, with the tan coloured sail produced in Clipper canvas by James Lawrence Sailmakers in Brightlingsea. Squid is based in Newtonhill and sails on both the Scottish east and west coasts as well as occasional visits to the Lake District.
Soy Lady – Clinker built from larch and oak in the style of traditional salmon cobles, this was a major project for Boatshed volunteers. Everybody involved agrees they learned a huge amount from this very special venture. Work is in progress to install her original engine with a view to venturing into the bay, as the salmon fishers would have done. Hopefully later in the summer, there will be opportunities for dolphin, seal and bird watching – and perhaps dangling a leisurely fishing line over the side!
Topaz BF. 1822 – Built in the village of Gardenstown in the 1940s. Information about who built her, owners or previous names are all unknown, other than that by 2017 she was named Shamrock PD. 154. Her overall length is 21 feet and she is powered with the original 17hp air cooled Lister engine she was built with. These boats or yawls were very common in the North East of Scotland being mainly used for pots and hand lining for mackerel. Current owner Billy Milne has had her renamed Topaz BF. 1822 after a Banff Zulu built in 1895. Restoration work has been carried out and she will be used solely for pleasure purposes. Billy would much appreciate any information about her history.
Waterwitch – A re-built Longhope, Hoy Yole found in a ruinous state in Helmsdale, Caithness in 2009. Originally the Azalea built by Edward Jamieson of Heckness, Longhope launched in May 1923 and registered for line and creel fishing K314. She remained registered for fishing until 1988 and left Orkney in the early 1990s. When found she was missing her garboards (bottom or first plank) and was heading for a bonfire. She was taken to the International Boatbuilding Training College, Lowestoft where the lines were lofted and an accurate rebuild to precisely the original shape was carried out. Waterwitch arrived in Orkney late February 2015 for fitting out, finishes & rigging at Ian Richardsons boatyard, Stromness. She was launched in May, 92 years after her original launch in Longhope, Hoy.
White Wing – A 33 foot Baldie, a variety of the Fifie lugsail design popular on the East coast of Scotland. She was built in 1917 by Jas. Cadger at Gardenstown for John Ritchie of Whitehills, Banffshire. The Ritchie family ownership continued until 1942 when she was sold to Andrew and David Lownie and operated out of Gourdon, near Montrose, at line fishing for haddock and creel fishing for lobsters. She was registered at Montrose as ME113 and continued fishing until the early 1980’s. In 1986 she was used by the BBC in a television film called The Shutter Falls, which was shot in Portsoy. The subject of the film was the Scottish Herring Fishing Industry and the life of the photographic pioneer Robert Adamson who worked locally. Thanks to the generosity of the BBC she was then acquired by the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther and since 1986 she has been lovingly and painstakingly restored to her original dipping lugsail rig by the members of the Museum Boats Club.
Wilfridus – A copy of a 15 foot Irish Dunfannagy currach constructed the traditional way with canvas stretched on larch laths.
Yan Tan – A gunter rigged Drascombe Coaster.